You may have noticed that this particular baseball blog is somewhat different than the rest. Sure, I like to look at numbers sometimes and will occasionally get lost in baseball-reference or fangraphs when there is a particular matter I’m curious about. But my stock and trade is generally silliness. That doesn’t stop me from thinking of things I would write about if I had serious blogger skills. So, if you are a real writer here are some topics you could pick up.
- Exactly how good was Prince Fielder’s 2012 season? To me, he got lost (if you can lose a 2?? lbs man) among the stories about Miggy’s Triple Crown, Justin’s Cy Young chase, and Quintin’s charm.
- What can we expect from Prince in 2013? Is there actually an adjustment period when switching leagues? Might Prince hit even better?
- How about GIFs of every 2012 Prince Fielder slide ranked by awesomeness?
- A comparison of what Victor Martinez might bring to the 5 spot versus what Delmon brought.
- A breakdown of the remaining free agent options who might fit to platoon with Dirks.
- Has Joaquin Benoit lived up to his contract? There was much consternation about a 3 year deal for him. Did it work? Is it too early to tell?
- Why doesn’t Austin Jackson dive? Is it smart to never dive for a ball? How often do outfielders who dive make the play? When they miss it, what does it cost the team on average? What is the risk/reward matrix for diving for a ball in certain base/out situations?
- How the heck do they decide who goes where for the Winter Caravans? Which caravan has historically been the best based on aggregate WAR?
- Is Comerica Park actually so large that it is “unfair” as Mr. Lynn Henning claims? Would it be to our advantage or disadvantage to move the fences in given our roster? Is there anything to prevent a MLB team from tailoring their fences to their team on a year to year basis?
- How good or bad was Gene Lamont as a 3rd base coach? Is there any way to evaluate 3rd base coaches empirically? Could you find the greatest 3rd base coach of all time? Worst?
I’ll expect all these articles written up in the next few days. Thanks.